A Fibroid is a benign tumour of the uterus. It can grow in and around the uterus.
1. Long and excessive bleeding during menstrual periods.
2. Pelvic pain or pressure.
3. Swollen abdomen.
4. Frequent urination.
Fibroids can also cause Fertility and Pregnancy problems, depending on the size and location.
Treatment of Fibroids:
Surgical- 1). Myomectomy , 2). Hysterectomy
Non – surgical –
1. Hormone therapy – It helps shrink fibroids. Side effects of medications involve headaches and hot flushes.
2. Uterine embolizatoin – This procedure stops the blood supply to the fibroid, causing it to shrink and die.
3. Birth control pills – They help control heavy periods.
4.Intrauterine device – They release hormones to help reduce heavy bleeding and pain.
5. Reducing the level of Estrogen in the body – Naturally occuring Estrogen is stored in and manufactured by fat cells. Therefore, maintaining a healthy weight can decrease the amount of estrogen in the body.
6. Warm formentation – Warm bath or using a heating pad or hot water bottle on the abdomen and gentle massage helps relieve congestion.
7. Pain relievers – They relieve the cramps or pain.
ROLE OF HOMEOPATHY IN THE TREATMENT OF FIBROIDS:
Homeopathy is one of the best alternative systems of medicine dealing with female complaints, both acute and chronic. This system of medicine believes in the holistic concept( i.e. treating the individual as a whole). As the develoment of fibroid is a chronic process which occurs over a period of time, its cure is also gradual. The scope of homeopathy is good in the treatment of fibroid. The patient’s entire history is taken into consideration, which includes the chief complaint, associated complaint, mental state, previos history of any illness, menstrual history, obstetric history, physical generals, investigations,etc.
Based on this case history, a homeopathic similimum is selected. This homeopathic similimum stimulates the vital force, thereby improving the vitality of the patient. Once the vitality is regained, the body restores itself to health. Also, homeopathic medicines regulate the hormonal imbalance, which further helps to reduce the size of the fibroid. Nowadays, it is preferred over modern medicine to avoid side effects of oral contraceptive pills.
Also, it is of great help to patients who want to conceive, as there is no surgical interferance done. So, homeopathy can come as a blessing in diguise for such patients. Homeopathic medicines help manage the symptoms of uterine fibroids as well as dissolve them. The time taken for cure depends on the size of the fibroid and intensity of symptoms. Important remedies in homeopathy used for treating fibroids are namely, Thalaspi Bursa Pastoris, Belladonna, Sepia Officinallis, Ustilago Maydis, Erigeron Canadensis, etc. In case you have a concern or querry you can always consult an expert and get answers to your questions.